Communication Studies - Certificate of Achievement Level 1
The Certificate of Achievement in Communication Studies focuses on employment and professional growth for incumbent workers, as well as individuals looking for personal growth and employability. Additionally, the Certificate of Achievement in Communication Studies fulfills one of the most desired skills required by employers. This includes public speaking, cultural understanding and diversity, listening skills, conflict management, effective group communication and persuasion.
Students must satisfactorily complete all certificate courses with a grade of “C” or better and at least 3 courses in the certificate must be completed at San José City College.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Express and convey message clearly for effective oral communication.
- Demonstrate effective listening skills to comprehend spoken messages, analyze information critically, and consider multiple perspectives.
- Participate in the civic life of their communities through public address and civic engagement, and advocate for positive change.
- Articulate the importance of diversity, differing belief and value systems, as well as individual opinions.
- Apply interpersonal skills to create and maintain successful and beneficial social and civic relationships.
|COMS 020||Oral Communication||3|
|COMS 035||Intercultural Communication||3|
|COMS 018||Introduction to Communication Studies||3|
|or COMS 040||Introduction to Argumentation|
|COMS 010||Interpersonal Communication||3|
|or COMS 045||Small Group Communication|
|Select one of the following:||1-3|
|Microsoft PowerPoint Level 1|
|Microsoft PowerPoint Level 2|
|News Writing and Reporting for the Media|