Computer Applications - Certificate of Achievement Level 3
San José City College offers an Associate in Science (AS) degree and two levels of certificates: Certificate of Achievement - Level 2 and Certificate of Achievement - Level 3 in Computer Applications.
Microsoft Office Specialist Certification, the premier in Microsoft desktop certification, is a globally recognized standard for demonstrating desktop skills which helps to meet the demand for qualified and knowledgeable people in the modern workplace. Our courses and certificates will prepare students to take the Microsoft Office Specialist and Expert Level (MOS) Exams. Certified individuals report increased competence and productivity as well as increased credibility with their employers, co-workers, and clients. Employers around the world know that it is a smart decision to hire certified candidates and, certification can be an employee's ticket to better career opportunities.
After successful completion of the series of tests for MOS, students will receive certification authenticating their skills from the certificating agency. There is a registration fee that must be paid before students can take the desired tests.
Upon receiving an Associate in Science degree, graduates should be able to demonstrate use of following skills: touch keyboarding, document composition/word processing, mail merge, using e-mail, scheduling appointments, using the internet to locate information, file and folder management, oral and written communication skills, preparing presentations, resume writing, creating a portfolio of business documents, and organization skills.
A grade of “C” or better is required for all major and certificate courses.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Recognize the components that constitute a computer information system. Identify various hardware, software, data, computer number systems, and procedures.
- Demonstrate understanding of the impact and application of computers in business, government, and social organizations. Students solve common business problems with computer applications and the internet.
- Receive and process written and oral technology related information. Students Interpret technology communication concepts including wired and wireless networks, servers and clients, users interfaces, operating systems, applications, utilities, and programming languages.
- Recognize the influence of the Internet on business and terms relating to the World Wide Web. Students perform the fundamental functions that operating systems and applications software provides. Students demonstrate skills in word processing, spreadsheets, presentation graphics, and use of Internet. Students will recognize a programming language and demonstrate steps involved in developing an application.
- Demonstrate the ability to work and interact effectively in teams consisting of individuals with differing interests, gender, global backgrounds and professions.
- Student demonstrates ability to exercise professional, ethical responsibility in the use of technology in society.
|Complete the following:|
|CA 010A||Computer Keyboarding||1|
|CA 011||Speed and Accuracy||1|
|CA 015A||Business Documents||2|
|CA 020D||Microsoft Windows||1|
|CA 030A||Internet for Beginners||1|
|CA 040D||Microsoft Word Level 1||1|
|CA 045D||Microsoft Word Level 2||1|
|CA 050D||Microsoft Excel Level 1||1|
|CA 055D||Microsoft Excel Level 2||1|
|CA 065D||Microsoft Access Level 2||1|
|CA 070D||Microsoft PowerPoint Level 1||1|
|CA 075D||Microsoft PowerPoint Level 2||1|
|CA 080D||Microsoft Outlook||1|
|CA 100D||Microsoft Office||3|
|BUS 007A||Business Language Skills||3|
|BUS 008||Business English and Writing||3|
|CA 060D||Microsoft Access Level 1||1|
|ACCTG 020||Financial Accounting||3-5|
|or ACCTG 101||Bookkeeping for Small Business|
|Select 8 units from the following:||8|
|Introduction to Media Arts|
|Principles of Management|
|Human Relations and Leadership|
|Introduction to PC Hardware and Diagnostics|