Esthetics - Certificate of Achievement Level 2
San José City College offers a certificate and Associate in Science degree in Cosmetology. The Cosmetology Program is designed to provide those persons interested in becoming a licensed cosmetologist with instruction in technical and theoretical knowledge relating to the basic skills in all phases of cosmetology including current salon techniques and trends. Emphasis is placed on application of skills in hair coloring, permanent waving, chemical relaxing, hair styling, hair cutting, manicuring, skin care, facials and makeup. Instruction in professionalism, salon management, chemistry, anatomy, physiology, sanitation, Cosmetology Act, rules and regulations are included.
The Esthetics Program is composed of 600 hours of instruction to satisfy the requirements of the California State Board of Cosmetology. Students can earn Certificate of Achievement - Level 2 by completing two semesters of course work with classes being held in the evenings and Saturdays. Upon completion of the program students are eligible to take the State Board Esthetics examination. The program is intended to prepare students for entry level positions i.e., esthetician, makeup artist, reconstructive makeup artist, cosmetic sales. A grade of “C” or better is required for each course in the certificate.
The Cosmetology Program is composed of 1600 hours of instruction, to satisfy the requirements of the California State Board of Cosmetology. Once a student is admitted to the Cosmetology Program the student must enroll on a full-time basis (40 hours a week). The program offers a Certificate of Achievement, as well as an Associate in Science Degree. Upon completion of the certificate program, students are eligible to take the State Board Examination for licensing. The program is intended to prepare students for Cosmetology entry positions i.e., hairstylist, facialist, and manicurist.
Candidates for the Cosmetology Program must file a supplementary application.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Apply all technical and practical skills for preparation and passing the California State Board licensing exam.
- Learn established guidelines and regulations outlined by the California Department of Consumer Affairs.
- Demonstrate a firm understanding and working knowledge of safety, sanitation and client protection rules.
- Discuss skin evaluation results, share analysis, and recommend treatments.
- Compare and explain methods, equipment and products used.
- Apply theories, principles and concepts to learn additional skills needed as an esthetician.
- Demonstrate the ability to act and work with integrity and honesty.
- Develop the ability to interact with individuals of different gender, ethnicity, background and culture.
- Seek new environmentally conscious ways to practice esthetics.