Laser Technology - Associate in Science
Lasers are now the enabling devices of choice for many industries that range from medicine, entertainment, telecommunications, and aesthetics, to quality control. Their ubiquity has resulted in the sky-rocketing demand for personnel who are well-versed in laser technology for both technical and non-technical positions. We therefore give our students both theoretical and hands-on competencies needed to tackle most common problems and issues encountered in the laser/laser system environments through regular course and industry internships.
Students must satisfactorily complete all major and certificate courses with a grade of “C” or better and at least four courses must be completed at San José City College.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Comply with ANSI and OSHA laser safety standards.
- Verify the quality of laser parts and sub-assemblies, applying appropriate standards.
- Build lasers/laser systems following prescribed procedures.
- Write and/or follow procedures for lasers/laser systems testing and operation.
- Verify a laser/laser system’s reliability and compliance to performance specifications.
- Maintain and troubleshoot lasers/laser systems.
|FMT 105||Introduction to Industrial Electronics and Controls||2.5|
|LASER 100||Introduction to Photonics||4|
|LASER 101||Rapid Laser Optics 3-D Prototyping||4|
|LASER 102||Intermediate Laser Technology||4|
|LASER 103||Advanced Laser Technology||4|
|LASER 104||Fiber Laser Technology||4|
|PHYS 002A||Algebra/Trigonometry-Based Physics I 1||4|
|MATH 013||Intermediate Algebra||5|
May be used to meet science with laboratory general education requirement.
A.S. Degree Requirements
|Approved Major Electives (See list below)||7|
|General Education Requirements||24|
Approved Major Electives
|MACH 160||Introduction to CNC Laser Applications||5|
|or LASER 160||Introduction to CNC Laser Applications|
|LASER 098||Directed Study - Laser Technology||0.5-9|
|LASER 138||Work Experience||1-4|
|PHYS 002B||Algebra/Trigonometry-Based Physics II||4|